How to be a good caretaker of Mother Earth
A. Follow the Three Rs: Reduce, Reuse and Recycle:
- Recycle everything you can!
- Buy only what you need, avoid use-once and throw-away products
- Buy from environmentally conscience companies
In 50 years plastic use has doubled worldwide. Reports show that 8.3 billion tons of plastic has been manufactured since 1950. Currently only 9% of plastic is recycled, 12% is burned, leaving 79% in landfills and in the environment. 73% of beach litter is plastic, and according to the United Nations, ingested plastic kills an estimated 1 million marine birds and 100,000 marine animals each year.
B. How to reduce plastic use:
- Don’t use plastic straws, buy a reusable metal straw.
- Don’t buy or use Styrofoam cups or packing materials
- Carry reusable refillable cup
- Buy glass containers for food storage
- E-cycle computers, monitors, keyboards, and other electronics
- Keep your cell phone for years, instead of buying the newest greatest model.
C. How to conserve water and energy resources:
- Monitor your thermostat at home to save money and resources
- Turn off water while brushing your teeth
- Catch shower water to water plants
- Fill you sink with water to wash dishes; don’t just let it run down the drain
- Load dishwashers and washing machines to capacity before washing
- Car pool, ride your bike and walk more
D. How to preserve wildlife:
- Avoid using chemicals in your house and your garden, even the smallest insect has worth and chemicals kill vital pollinators
- Do not disturb wild animals or birds. Leave nesting sites, eggs, dens and animal babies alone.
- Protect all fish, retrieve fishing hooks and fishing lines
- Leave wild animals in the wild and don’t buy pets taken illegally from the wild
- Protect plants by not picking wildflowers or trampling vegetation
- Respect wild trees, avoid chopping tree bark or cutting trees
E. Be aware of pollutants:
- Keep rivers, lakes and waterways clean, remove all bottles, plastic and other pollutants
- Toss trash in trash cans, don’t throw any trash on the ground anywhere
- In natural area pack out your trash and dispose of properly
- Dispose hazardous materials properly. Call your local Fire or Police Department to find out how.
If we all do it, then little steps can make a huge difference!
Submitted by: Carlotta Lucas