The Walker Family Memorial Scholarship
History: In 2003, $25,000 was donated to AGC by the estate of Reed Walker, in memory of his wife, Carolee Walker. As an active garden club member Carolee was instrumental in starting AGC’s Plant Sale to fund scholarships. The membership voted to use this generous donation to provide an annual scholarships, grants, and community projects.
The Southern Oregon University Scholarship
The S.O.U. Scholarship is funded solely by AGC’s annual Plant Sale.
The Science Department chooses a recipient from students studying either Environmental Sciences, Botany, or Plant Biology.
Rogue Community College Scholarship – An annual AGC scholarship donation to a student attending the community college. The recipient is chosen from students aiming for a degree(s) in Wildlife Conservation, Landscape Management, Forestry or Environmental Studies.
Southern Oregon University Farm Grant- An annual grant given to The Farm at SOU. The Farm is a center for education, student and faculty research and community outreach to the Rogue Valley. Students get hands-on experiences in all phases of organic farming, and produce healthy sustainable foods for the SOU Community.
AGC’s Annual Plant Sale
- The annual plant sale raise funds for the SOU Scholarship. The plant sale is held on the Saturday before Mother’s day- Location: Ashland Safeway’s’ parking lot, corner of Siskiyou Blvd & Sherman St.
- Plants for sale come from member’s gardens and greenhouses. Some plants are donated by North Mountain Park and Ashland Parks and Recreation.
Garden of the Month
- Recognition and awards for resident and non-residential gardens.
- Recipients chosen by the Garden of the Month committee.
North Mountain Park
- In partnership with Ashland Parks and Recreation, AGC volunteer gardeners plant and maintain the Heirloom Garden at North Mountain Park. The Heirloom Garden Committee meets at the park the 3rd Tuesday of each month, except December. All AGC members are encouraged to participate.
Feast of Will – Lion’s Club/AGC Membership Program
- The Feast of Will, a community-sponsored celebration of the official opening of OSF’s Elizabethan Theatre for the season. This event is held in June in Lithia Park. Member’s donate flowers from their personal gardens to create 100-120 table arrangements to decorate the tables.
Southern Oregon Rehabilitation Center & Clinics (SORCC)
- AGC participates in the Siskiyou District program of honoring our service personnel, by providing flower arrangements to the non-denominational chapel at the Southern Oregon Rehabilitation Center & Clinics (SORCC) in White City.
- Each club in the Siskiyou District deliver flower arrangements for four Fridays of one month April through September. The District’s Board assign clubs their month for delivery.
- A fifth Friday in a month is filled by the District Board members.
November’s Garland Assembly
- In return for using the Community Center/Pioneer Hall buildings, AGC, in partnership with Ashland’s park crew, decorates the fronts of the Community Center and Pioneer Hall with holiday garlands.
December Greens Workshop
- This wreath-making workshop is to kick off the holidays and to raise money for AGC’s General Fund. Wreaths made at this workshop are sold at our holiday potluck in December.
- AGC donates to the Rogue Watershed Council to help restore instream and streamside habitat, improve water quality. The council covers approximately 1,641,000 acres from the headwaters near Crater Lake to Mule Creek and encompasses the towns of Grants Pass, Merlin, Shady Cove, Eagle Point, Butte Falls, Central Point, Jacksonville, Phoenix, Talent, Medford, and Ashland.