The Walker Family Memorial Scholarship
History: In 2003, $25,000 was donated to AGC by the estate of Reed Walker, in memory of his wife, Carolee Walker. As an active garden club member Carolee was instrumental in starting AGC’s Plant Sale to fund scholarships. The membership voted to use this generous donation to provide an annual scholarship award to an Ashland High School senior. Each year our Scholarship Committee reads essays submitted by AHS applicants and a winner is selected to receive a $1000 scholarship.
The Southern Oregon University Scholarship
The S.O.U. Scholarship is funded solely by AGC’s annual Plant Sale.
The Science Department chooses a recipient from students studying either Environmental Sciences, Botany, or Plant Biology.
Rogue Community College Scholarship – An annual scholarship donation is made in conjunction with other Siskiyou District Garden Clubs. The recipient is chosen from students majoring in either Wildlife Conservation, Landscape Management or Environmental Studies.
AGC’s Annual Plant Sale
- The annual plant sale raise funds for the SOU Scholarship. The plant sale is held on the Saturday before Mother’s day- Location is announced in the Daily Tidings & Jefferson Public Radio.
- Plants for sale come from member’s gardens and greenhouses. Some plants are donated by North Mountain Park and Ashland Parks and Recreation.
Garden of the Month
- Recognition and awards for resident and non-residential gardens.
- Recipients chosen by the Garden of the Month committee.
North Mountain Park
- In partnership with Ashland Parks and Recreation, AGC volunteer gardeners plant and maintain the Heirloom Garden at North Mountain Park. The Heirloom Garden Committee meets at the park the 3rd Tuesday of each month. All AGC members are encouraged to participate.
Feast of Will – Lion’s Club/OSF/AGC Membership Program
- The Feast of Will, a community-sponsored celebration of the official opening of OSF’s Elizabethan Theatre for the season, is held in June in Lithia Park.
Southern Oregon Rehabilitation Center & Clinics (SORCC)
- AGC participates in the Siskiyou District program of honoring our service personnel, by providing flower arrangements to the non-denominational chapel at the Southern Oregon Rehabilitation Center & Clinics (SORCC) in White City.
- Each club in the Siskiyou District deliver flower arrangements for four Fridays of one month April through September. The District’s Board assign clubs their month for delivery.
- A fifth Friday in a month is filled by the District Board members.
November’s Garland Assembly
- In return for using the Community Center/Pioneer Hall buildings, AGC, in partnership with Ashland’s park crew, decorates the fronts of the Community Center and Pioneer Hall with holiday garlands.
December Greens Workshop
- This wreath-making workshop is to kick off the holidays and to raise money for AGC’s General Fund. Wreaths made at this workshop are sold at our holiday potluck in December.
Pennies for Pines
- AGC collects change from the membership throughout the year to make donations to organizations in our region who help replant fire-damaged forest and restore stream habitat in Southern Oregon.