There are over 5,00 varies of mums, but only common garden varieties are usually found at local nurseries. Check online if you are looking for unusual ones, or ask your local nurseryman if they can order a specific variety for you.
- Select mums that match your hardiness zone. Mums are available in both tender and hardy perennials.
- Plant mums in full sun, they need at least 6 hours daily.
- Mums like well draining soil. Boost soil with compost and fertilize mums every 4-6 weeks with a water-soluble fertilizer during the growing season.
- Never let mums wilt! Water often and do not let them dry out.
- Watch for pest, and treat plants with insecticidal soap, if needed.
- Pinch spent blooms to encourage more blossoms and to keep plant bushy.
- Mums bloom at different times during the season; there are early, mid, and late blooming varieties. Fall mums will continue blooming until a hard freeze.