Here’ s a great recipe for those gardeners out there who are actually harvesting some red tomatoes this year!
1 9-inch pie shell
1 onion, chopped [if caramelizing, double the amount; it really adds to the flavor!]
4 large peeled tomatoes, sliced or chopped, [approx 3 cups] squeeze to remove excess juice1/3 to 1/2 cup chopped basil, or more to taste!
2 cups grated cheese (combinations are good: Sharp Cheddar, Monterrey Jack, Gruyere, Mozzarella)
1 cup mayonnaise [or vegetarian Vegenaise] Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Pre-cook pie shell approx.10 minutes, a frozen crust might need to cook slightly longer.
- Salt tomatoes in a colander and allow them to drain while pre-cooking pie shell.
- Chop onion [option:caramelize*]
- Using paper towels, squeeze as much juice out of the tomatoes as you can.
- Layer onions, tomatoes, and basil in the pie shell.
- Combine grated cheese and mayonnaise to together. Season with salt & pepper to taste. Spread mixture over the tomatoes.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until light brown & bubbly.